Sizing is important when it comes to comfort and effectiveness during pumping. While we try to provide the most 'common' sizes with the breast pumps, sometimes a different size is required.
For a quick ruler guide Download our Suction Kit Sizing Guide here. This can be printed and used to assist you find your best fit.
Signs you might need a larger size:
- You are unable to centre your nipple i.e have it inside the tunnel without it touching the sides
- You feel your nipple is uncomfortable and rubbing against the side of the nipple tunnel during pumping
- Your nipple is unable to move freely with the pumping motion
- Your nipple is being strongly compressed by the 3 phase motion to a feeling of discomfort or pinching
Signs you might need a smaller size:
- An excessive amount of your areola is being drawn into the nipple tunnel
- You experience a painful tugging feeling
- Your nipple is reaching the end of the nipple tunnel while pumping
- You can hear air moving or 'sucking' inside the nipple tunnel
- You are not experiencing compression of the nipple with the 3 phase motion
We recommend having 2-4mm of space surrounding your entire nipple for optimal fit. You can find your size by measuring the diameter of the base of your nipple, then adding 4-6mm to find the nearest size, if between sizes, it is recommended to go for the larger size.
15mm diameter base of nipple, add 4-6mm, nearest = 21mm
20mm diameter base of nipple, add 4-6mm, nearest = 25mm
23mm diameter base of nipple, add 4-6mm, nearest = 29mm
Our Milkbar Suction Kits are compatible with Milkbar Advanced Flow Breast Pumps. The kit is sold together and includes:
- 1 x Dust Cover
- 1 x Silicone Cushion
- 1 x Plastic Brace
- 1 x Diaphragm
- 1 x Breast Pump Body
- 1 x Cap and Plug
- 1 x Valve Body
- 1 x Valve Membrane (unless duckbill design)
Our inserts are a new, cost effective option should you be unsure of what size you require or if you wish to replace your silicone piece frequently.
The inserts come in sizes 21, 25 and 29mm. They include only the silicone cushion, and they all fit into the suction kit casing received with the double pump.
If you wish to purchase each size to try alongside the breast pumps, you may choose the option of the Double or Single bundle accordingly.
(Double Bundle = 2 x 21mm and 2 x 29mm inserts)
(Single Bundle = 1 x 25mm Full Kit and 1 x 29mm insert)
Do I need anything else?
The size 22mm is the size included with the Single Breast Pump. The design has a traditional Milkbar Advanced Flow Membrane pictured below. Time to time (depending on frequency of use and cleaning) these will need replacing to maintain optimal suction and are available to purchase online for $4.99.
The size 21, 25 and 29mm suction kits are a new, 'all in one' design and do not have a traditional valve and membrane so no spare parts are required.
The size 25mm is included with the Double Breast Pump.